Next intake: Wednesday, 21 July 2021
Applications close: Wednesday, 7 July 2021
Duration: 14 weeks, part-time
Study mode: Weekly live-online sessions
Fees: $900.00 (incl. GST)
Result: Level 7 (15 credits) + Tech Futures Lab Learning Badge
Learn the art and science of human adaptability
Complexity facing organisations from economic, environmental and social challenges is now increasing faster than our ability to respond with high-quality, innovative solutions. This programme will help bridge this gap and develop genuine adaptability – in perspective, thought, emotion and behaviour – capabilities critical to building responsive, flourishing and sustainable futures.
This 14-week programme has been carefully designed using the latest in human sciences, technology and business methodologies to support the development of agility as not only a practice, but as a way of thinking about the world and our role in it.
Delivered in partnership between The Institute for Social Sustainability (TISS) and Tech Futures Lab, the programme provides a foundational pathway into learning:
Why this developmental capability is now so pressingly-critical.
How to build the mental, emotional and behavioural capability necessary to solve the complex problems that are obstructing individual and collective agility.
What needs to happen to build the capability across scale.
Adaptive human behaviour
- To identify internal human processes related to language, emotion and thought.
- To understand external processes related to behaviour, relationships and changing environments.
- To connect these two dynamics to understand and work with processes that foster adaptive behaviour.
Conscious and flexible perspective-taking
- To recognise how your own perspective influences decision making.
- The ability to see from and empathise with different perspectives.
- How to assimilate all these varying viewpoints to minimise poor quality decision making and maximise the chances of high-quality sustainable outcomes.
- Methods to untangle and make sense of complex problems, particularly those that are further complicated by uncertain and ambiguous environments.
- The capacity and skills to lead others through changing and challenging times.
What you’ll gain
An understanding of the latest insights in psychology and human behaviour to help build the skills needed to plot a road-map on how to change the way you, and others, think and act.
An ability to apply proven methods and processes that create and support mindset adaptability within organisations and individuals.
The capability and confidence to lead differently and navigate through complex situations to generate sustainable high quality solutions.
A meta-perspective on why individual and organisational agility are so important in today’s dynamic marketplace.
One graduate's learning journey
What the programme data is telling us
Our human-centred design process allows us to collect deep-level insights and data from our programmes which enables us to continually validate the experience of each programme participant and the outcomes they achieve. One of the 18 items we measure with our Complex Problem-solving Questionnaire (CPQ) is people’s ‘Ability to Adapt to Complex Change’.
Data collected from our 2020 cohorts show that BEFORE the programme 100% of participants were either Neutral (90%) or they Agreed (10%) with the statement ‘I can effectively adapt to change. AFTER the programme, 100% of participants either Agreed (55%) or Strongly Agreed (45%) with the same statement.
Another measure shows that 100% either Agree (30%) or Strongly Agree (70%) that effectively adapting to change is relevant to business.
This data validates both the critical importance of being able to adapt to complex change and the shifts in individual capability as a result of participation in the programme.
Who is this programme for?
The Organisational Agility micro-credential is designed for anyone who can see the need to think differently in order to do differently in an era of rapid complex challenges.
Grounded in psychology and behavioural sciences, this programme will challenge you mentally and emotionally on both a personal and professional level.
This programme is for you if you:
- Are in a position of leadership, coaching or influence in business or the community
- Are working in a large organisation, SME or are self-employed
- Contemplating a career change
No matter your situation, if you are interested in learning how to navigate an increasingly complex work and life landscape, this programme will help. It’ll enable you to develop an adaptive mindset, one that is able to see the broader context for organisational change and how to influence and shift the behaviours and habits that have been limiting our ability to move into a more sustainable, profoundly different paradigm.
This programme is available to study part-time only and is delivered in weekly live-online class sessions. See the Key Dates section below for more detail on times.
A total time commitment of 11 hours per week comprising:
- 1.5 hour weekly live-online sessions
- 9 hours of guided self-paced learning
The 14-week programme includes two study weeks.
For more detail on the programme structure and delivery, please see the Education handbook.
The full tuition fee for the Organisational Agility micro-credential programme is $900* (incl. GST)
*Student Loans and allowances do not apply to this programme.
The Organisational Agility programme has been approved for funding by RBPN, see ‘Small Business Funding’ section below for eligibility criteria.
We value industry and real-world experience as much as an academic record. You don’t need specific technical ability but you must demonstrate a willingness to learn.
We value industry and real-world experience as much as an academic record.
Places are offered in order of enrolment. The programme is only available to candidates who qualify as domestic students (NZ Citizens or Residency Visa that allows for study). Australian Citizens are eligible if they ordinarily reside in New Zealand).
You’ll need one of the following:
- A recognised Level 6 qualification (certificate or diploma).
- Equivalent professional experience. You’ll need to provide some references or CV/LinkedIn profile that demonstrates your experience.
To make sure you’ll get what you want out of this programme, we’ll have a one on one virtual video call with you to discuss your motivators and objectives.
Not sure of your eligibility?
Small Business Funding
Regional Business Partner Network (RBPN) Management Capability Development Funding
The RBPB Management Capability Development Fund offers businesses up to 50 per cent co-funded support (capped at $5,000) for management coaching and training services to build management capability.
To access this funding you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Have undergone an assessment with a Regional Business Partner growth advisor.
- Have fewer than 100 full-time equivalent employees.
- Be registered for GST in New Zealand.
- Be operating in a commercial environment
- Be a privately owned business, or a Māori Trust or incorporation under the Te Ture Whenua Māori Act 1993 or similar organisation managing Maori assets under multiple ownership.
The Organisational Agility programme has been approved for funding by RBPN so please contact us for more information on how to apply.
The Institute for Social Sustainability
This course has been developed by Dr Tresna Hunt (PhD Psychology and Leadership) and Brett Oetgen (MBA), founders of The Institute for Social Sustainability, in collaboration with the Tech Futures Lab academic team. It has been designed based on extensive research with New Zealand businesses that identified current and future capability gaps in the workplace for responsive, adaptable work practices